Tuesday, May 17, 2011

iReview: "Other Words for Love" by Lorraine Zago Rosenthal

Pre-Script: How I wish my arms were long enough to reach my back and I could pat myself...for a simple reason...it's the third book I'm finishing in as many days...that's the benefit of being at home...and I'm even more glad because I am reading, rather than watching the re-re-reruns of the serials on TV...Last but not the least, I am hopeful that one fine day, I actually will gather the skills of reviewing a book in the nice proper manner...but till then, I'll keep writing at least about the books which really touched me...Thirteen Reasons Why was one...and well Other Words for Love is yet another...

In fact these two books have made me wonder if I ever grew up...these are the books based on teen characters...and I'm like 5 b'days ahead already...but still...I can relate to them...I can feel what the character are feelings (okie never the suicidal part of the previous novel)...Either I'm stuck to being a teenager (And I will be happy...after all which sane gal wishes to age after 16?? ) or maybe we Indians experience at the age of 24 what gals of West experience when they are like 16-17...


Coming to the novel...It didn't have much of a back cover note kind of for me to determine if I would like  it or not...I didn't check the GoodReads rating before opening it (I guess the forgetful me always does it somewhere in between her reads)...just having the word "Love" in the novel is often an incentive enough for girls my age (or rather in teens lets say :P )...and the starting of the novel scared me...It was set in 1985 (I still wonder why?? maybe because the author didn't feel like using cell phones or internet chats :-/ ) and I never have been good with classics (yeah to me anything before the time I was born is a classic!!) 

To be honest, the starting few pages weren't all that encouraging...the only thing that kept me going was that the chapters were small, made you feel that you are making a good progress and the number of pages in the novel were less...added advantage :) And the author being a first timer (another common feature between this n previous novel) I actually never expected much...

So the story is about a 16 year old gal, generally referred as Ari (please don't ask me the complete name, it was complicated :P )...it's about her life, her family, her school, her friends, and of course her love life...what I loved in the novel is the fact that it revolves around just a handful of people, and every character has a depth to it..they are all well defined and shaded out...and well, the novel shows all the facets of love...casual love, affairs, love for someone who is dead, love for your child, love for the spouse, the dream of love and happily ever after...every character of the story is interesting as per me...and none has been comprised for the sake of highlighting Ari...

It's the story of Ari who never found acceptance in her peer group (though I don't know why...but let's just accept it she doesn't and it's not very hard to accept for me..) it has bits about Evelyn, Ari's sister who as per her mom failed in living up to the expectations...it has Evelyn's husband (who I don't know how come attracted so much female attention but eventually like for loving his wife)...it's about Ari's parents (her mother mostly...the father is not much mentioned but I loved a couple of scene between him n Ari towards the end...they sounded so real :| ) and then it's about two completely different friends of Ari...and finally about two guys in Ari's life...her dreams of settling down and happy ever after (and don't you dare ask me since when American gals think of settling down at the age of 18..yup the novel traces her from 16-19 about ...)

I won't go on saying how much I accept the ending, how much I don't...it's a person to person perspective..some would love it, some would hate it and some would just hope it could have had an open end...Goodbyes are never easy, and to some people like me, there never is a final goodbye...the novel has some really sweet moments (the ones a gal like me can absolutely fall in love with)..it has some real heart breaking moments...love isn't always about happiness and love doesn't always motivate you to move ahead...at times love leaves you crushed...and that's the time your stamina and strength is tested...again, I don't accept the part where Ari actually fell into what looked like an abyss...but then it's realistic...it probably is what generally happens and I am so thankful that the novel didn't end before getting things right (I wouldn't have stood by a second suicidal novel :| )

All in all, an amazing read...just keep the patience for the first 75 pages...take whatever the crap is happening as infatuation (and we know it actually happens!!)...after that it's a compelling read....


My Rating: Definitely a 4.5/5 ...this one deserves it...at least from all the young readers (yeah I like to call myself that and I'm sure lot many else would like to call themselves young too :P )


Post Script: I realized at the end of the novel that the writer is a psychiatrist...maybe that's hoe she understands and brings the emotions and feelings of every character so alive...I never felt an over-drive of emotions are a lil bit too much of melodrama...give it a read, whenever you get a chance... :)

12 comments:

  1. How prolific are you lady! I think the only book with 'love' in it's title that has found it's way into my hands is 'Love Story'! That too a long time ago :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...I read Love Story, when I was like 16-17 I guess...and to be true, that one was a big let down!!! I mean I don't know why was it hyped so much :( and if that novel is really so good, why a scene by scene lift if it crashed in Bollywood?? I hope you know which movie I'm talking about :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. well...seems like u don't watch much of Hindi movies...it's a Mallika Sherawat starrer, Khawaish..highly controversial movies but with each scene same as the novel :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the 17 kiss flick! Well I haven't watched one sub-standard movie and you conclude that I don't watch much Hindi movies?!?! What has the world come to? *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  5. So..you know d movie for all the right reasons :P

    Now just enlighten me...how come the novel is a classic n same scenes on movie makes d movie sub-standard?? Won't that be double-standard :P

    By the way, I am great in arguing n debating :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha! I never said the book is a classic :P
    And do you think just a good story would make a great movie? Really? Isn't the screenplay, the dialogues, the quality of the director and actors any factor at all?
    Point in case: Hitch and Partner. A blatant lift, but worlds apart! I rest my case :P

    PS: I guessed the arguing and debating bit :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well...I give in for a change...a movie adaptation needs some brilliant performances too...maybe that's why I loved My Sister's Keeper and Gone with the Wind and somehow detest Twilight in movies :)

    See I know how to gracefully conceded too :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah yeah, you're large-hearted :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Finally you are slowly understanding me :P

    By the way...can we expect any new posts on your end...I kind of need some smiles (okie okie, big laughs) at the moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How I wish I could churn out posts at will. If that was the case, my blog would have seen lot more than 31 posts in 3 years! Not everyone's as prolific as you lady :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even I can't...that's why reviews are an easy way to keep the blog active...other than that, well..have just kind of tried to ensure at least a couple of posts a month...

    Main toh resolution poora karne k liye likh deti hoon...baaki padhne walon ki tension :D

    ReplyDelete