Friday, February 18, 2011

The Season of Season 2

Yeah, I know...its evident from the title that the post is all about sequels...I can't help it...that's what has become the life of television these days...gone are the days when numerous seasons of a show were a thing of western countries...now we are at par with them at every step of life, sitcoms included....in fact we are, as everywhere else, a step ahead of them....

They at least have a common story line spanning across the seasons...season which telecast like once a week for some 20-24 odd weeks..but nah, we Indians love to talk, love to narrate stories, and of course love to add our emotions and feelings into everything...so here we are...our serials (we are now strictly against sitcoms, they are meant just for SAB TV, a channel half the TV watching junta is unaware of)...so our serials are on air at least 5 days a week (we proudly announce when that  days a week becomes 7 days a week...and some of us r left thanking the fact that a week has just 7 days n not more :P )...and these serials go on for like 3-4 years in the least....and when they finally do end (after 4-5 marriages, a couple of rebirths, some illegitimate series of kids and what not) they come back as season 2...promising the same characters and a different story (which it never is...and I don't blame the creatives for it...after all, they already have tried all permutation and combination of events and stories to keep on continuing the initial show for years...and finally had to end it up because all ideas were exhausted...)

So why season 2 suddenly...well because my once-upon-a-time-favorite-show is back with season 2... (yeah I do watch serials even when I'm in hostel...even if it takes me 2 hours to buffer a 20 minute show :-| that's called loyalty :P which is applicable only to series and serials, never to books and studies :D ) and well, even because what started in India as a phenomenon for reality shows (Indian Idol I guess was the first step) has now spread to almost all segments today...and the main reason behind season 2 is the popularity of few lead characters...(we Indians are again great as far as being a fan is considered...where else would you find people worshiping a film star, fighting for and against them...it happens only in India :D )

The question all this however raises is, don't we, in fact can't we let go off things till the time they remain good n sweet...till the characters, till the serial has a fan following and demand we continue digging in them, cashing on it...till we of course get bored out of it or find something better and start condemning the very thing we were once a fan of...is it just with celebs and characters or does it hold true in our lives too...we get obsessed with something, some person, some work till it completely goes wrong (trust me, my life experience says the more you care and fret about a thing or a person the quicker you mess it up :D kindly refer to Mr Dev Anand, his ever growing youth and the promise to deliver a superhit movie with him as a hero :'( ) 

Yeah yeah, I again know, anyone would think where I start the talks from, and where I take it...but still the ever coming up sequels (which stop only after failing disastrously) and the ever present copies of a successful design and idea ( given that Steve Jobs is so much in news, I am reminded of touch phone craze started by them) why is it that most of us prefer trying out a tried, tested and successful combination rather than daring to start something new ( being almost an MBA I know the first movers and strategic follower pros and cons, but I even know that very rarely do B Schools in India produce entrepreneurs, most of the products like me are back to rat race of a cool high paying job, which never remains cool from the first day we join it ;) )

And to conclude the post ( which was actually tough, because even I don't know why I wrote whatever I wrote...its like becoming the way I senselessly write answers in exams now a days but that at least is done for a reason, it in the least would fetch me some marks ;) ) just found what I love finding, yup a quote on happy ending...(if anything of such kind exists because to the best of my knowledge, if its happy, it  doesn't end...and if it ends, its never happy but now, is the turn of some famous quotation n not my round the miss thoughts...yup everyone can fold their hands and thank God :P )


But if only we were able to learn how to stop (if I had known my blog would have stopped long back...trust me :-| )

PS 1: In the interest of the poor reader of the posts, I thought of trying to keep my thoughts in italics, making it easier for them to skip my non ending chatter...but then, if one doesn't want to listen to my chatter, they never 'll read the post/blog...right??

PS 2: I love writing PS...thats a secret let out :P ...but just thought of adding a small video cum promo of the season two which gave me a useless but still a topic enough to write a post on :D



1 comment:

  1. lol! I lost the plot in between :)

    But yes Season 2 is the latest In thing these days. I know of at least 2 serials which have retained the names of the last so-called season and the main leads and rest all is new. When I wonder why are they selling it as season 2 then the only thing that I can think of is it is easier to sell it this way!!! :)

    ReplyDelete