Sunday, April 17, 2011

Stranger In The Mirror : Not the Review

And I had to write this post 3 days back...but then, life came to a full circle...I remember my firs few days in MBA...same looks like the end...had an unending project report to deal with....n well the last presentation of the course actually reminded and made me go through all what I had in the very first presentation almost 18 months back...life doesn't change much, isn't it :)

So, "Stranger in the Mirror", a novel read by me ages back...has nothing to do with this post...
Nor as one of my friend thought (after reading my status message on FB around 4 days back), is it related to the horror/thriller movie Mirrors (again saw it over 2 years back)...

But this one was a personal reflection, which I prefer to believe holds true for everyone (ab I can't say I'm different in each n every aspect, one shouldn't be that abnormal too after all :P ) "If we look close enough in the mirror, we often find the biggest stranger in our life..." or something like that was the status message I had on Facebook...a quick way to put your thoughts across the world, and definitely better than Twitter (of course, isn't it obvious that I'll choose FB over Twitter...to a gal with never ending blogs, 420 words over 160 chars, the choice is simple enough for even a kid to make!!!)

Just had a thought....we all spend our lives in judging people (yes, I honestly do, n be honest, so do you...) we appreciate them, critique them...find their shortcomings or their strong points (and again lets be honest...from the finding the positive n negative in other, which part do v most often unearth??) We (or rather I'll shift back to I), I definitely can writes essays about the characters, habits and traits of at least a couple of dozens of people...it's just so simple...and I'm so stringent in my belief, so sure that what I think of that person, is how that person really is...and well, no one can change that opinion, but I myself...but why would I (it's tough to accept you are wrong, even if it's something you have to confess to yourself n not the world :-| )

But then, how often do we think of ourselves...how often do we actually measure ourselves on the same parameters, look out for same behavior n characteristics, as we assess in those around us....do we really know ourselves, what we truly are?? Truth be told, I at least don't!!!

Today, if I confess, I probably am the person I know about least....other's can call me predictable, but to think of, I don't know who I've turned out to be, someone I would have appreciated as an on-looker (like I appreciate few people around me..) or someone I would have found full of errors and condemned....is there any way, I can be as true at self-assessment as I am while assessing others???

Till date, I actually have tried making sure that I don't end up doing the very same things, which I don't like seeing other's do...which I raise an issue, complain or even crib behind their backs (yup, that a shortcoming, and being a gal, it's not surprising; but well I do talk about people, I do end up picking their wrongs...and I am not apologetic...because somewhere I know, the majority of us do that...and well, I don't think it's wrong too...it's a part of being in the society.... ;)) Nice excuse...right?? )

Anyways, to cut the long story short, I liked the novel "Stranger in the Mirror", the movie "Mirrors" was good enough to keep me glued till end (I've a bad habit of leaving movies half watched!!! ) but what fascinates me, is the person that reflects back while I look in the mirror....for that's one person I know the least about......

3 comments:

  1. I am reminded of another Mirror.
    The cinderella mirror!
    "Mirror mirror on the wall..who's the fairest of them all?" We never judge ourselves, somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cinderella or Snow White?? :)

    And since we never judge ourselves, shouldn't we get ourselves reviewed from people from time to time...d only prob being, v don't believe the judgment of others about us as well :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. yea snow white :P

    reviews are good.. if only we really cared enough :D

    ReplyDelete